The Evolution of My Brother Renamed

Jenny Zhang's "The Evolution of My Brother" is a short story about the growth of Jenney's younger brother and the effect it has on her as the narrator. Zhang makes a point to show Jenney's lack of growth while demonstrating her brother's to the fullest. For example, in the opening paragraph, the two have a playful exchange that resembles that of siblings at a similar age. “Eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it.” I backed him into a corner with the coffee end of the candle pointed at his mouth.
“Stop it, Jen-naay,” he said, stepping back, “or I’ll enable my force shield to turn your bones into dirt” (Zhang 1). However, as readers, we know that the age gap between the two is about 9 years which is clearly not reflected in Jenney's behavior. These are common occurrences for her and there was even a time when her lack of maturity and patience caused her to lash out a hold a knife to her own brother's neck. 
Zhang's recurrence back to the theme of growth is why I believe that the title to be changed to "My Brother's Growth". It would be a perfect way to contrast his growth with Jenney's lack of it. Growth implies both physical and mental gain. The mental being one out of a newfound realization or the unveiling of a lie. On the other hand, evolution implies a predestined change born out of nature.
What do you guys think the story should be titled? Did you identify any other themes? Let me know down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speech Speaks Louder than Violence

2 Quotes from Girl

Q&A in The Lottery